Published: 30 September 2021
Applications are invited for the position of Assistant Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer to manage the administration, personnel, and finances of East Peckham Parish Council.
East Peckham Parish is in the County of Kent and lies between Tunbridge Wells and East of Maidstone. The Parish contains approx. 1,250 households. The Parish Council consists of 11 Councillors and currently has 4 members of staff.
The post includes some evening meetings and occasional weekend work. The successful applicant will be a highly-motivated and forward-thinking individual who can promote the interests of the community by forging strong local partnerships. They will manage the statutory obligations of the council, including its financial responsibilities. They must be an excellent communicator with a positive ‘can-do’ attitude, combined with strong commercial and financial management. The job is based at the council office in the Jubilee Hall, although an option to partly work from home may be an option. The Assistant Clerk’s main duties include following instructions from the Parish Clerk and assisting the Parish Clerk in the following tasks.
• Attendance at meetings - held the third Monday of the month at 7pm plus Committee meetings & Planning meetings every First Monday of the month at 7pm plus the Finance Committee which currently meets twice annually.
• The preparation of meeting agendas and the taking of accurate minutes of Parish Council meetings.
• Keeping accurate financial records, banking, invoices, and payment of accounts.
• Setting the council’s budget, liaising with auditors, preparing end of year accounts.
• Acting on decisions and resolutions taken at council meetings.
• Dealing with correspondence from Councillors, members of the public and external organisations.
• Assisting in maintaining and updating the council’s website.
• Churchyard maintenance
• Village Grass Cutting.
• 1 recreation ground.
• 1 Jubilee Hall.
• 1 Allotment site.
• 4 members of staff.
Training to assist the Assistant Clerk to carry out the above tasks will be provided.
The successful applicant will have:
• Good communication skills both written and verbal.
• Good IT skills.
• An understanding of basic accounting processes.
• An ability to understand and interpret local government law.
• Ability to work on their own.
• A relevant qualification (CiLCA) or the willingness to work towards achieving this.
• Knowledge of the area would also be an advantage.
Part time - 15 hours per week.
Salary: £22,627 - £28,672 FTE (SCP 13-24) dependent on experience.
The appointment will be subject to successful completion of a 6-month probationary period
Closing Date: 29th October 2021 Interview Date: TBC
If you are interested in applying for this post, have a strong public-service ethos and want to make a difference to the life of the East Peckham community please contact Emily Ellis, Clerk firstname.lastname@example.org
or 01622 871309 for an application pack. Alternatively you can download the Application Pack here